For UI Choice members and their families, the University of Iowa has named UI Health Care Specialty Pharmacy as its exclusive pharmacy.
Services you can rely on
Board-certified specialty pharmacists and technicians are key members of your care team. UI Health Care Specialty Pharmacy Services is proud to be accredited by URAC and has Gold Seal Approval for specialty pharmacy from the Joint Commission. Our team will
- Teach you how to take your medications and help you monitor any side effects
- Call you to see how you're doing and answer any new questions
- Contact you a week before your medications need refilling
- Answer your medication questions 24-hours a day
- See that your reaction to the medicines are recorded in a timely way in your medical record and called to your doctor’s attention when necessary
- Work with your health insurance provider and other resources to see that your medications are affordable
- Use the same electronic medical record as your UI Health Care doctor so all of your records are in one place for other members of the UI Health Care team to review
- Provide free delivery service to your home and take care of emergency refills
Why a specialty pharmacy service?
A specialty pharmacist works closely with you to make sure you understand your medicines and that they are working for you. Usually specialty medications have a specific schedule to follow or must be stored and delivered in ways to increase their effectiveness. Sometimes the medications are expensive and require assistance to be sure they’re available to you.
Which conditions or medicines are covered by a specialty pharmacy?
UI Health Care specialty pharmacists and technicians manage many types of medications to help people manage medical conditions. Check these lists to see if your condition or medications might be eligible for specialty pharmacy services.
- Diseases specialty pharmacists may monitor
- See the complete specialty pharmacy list for UI Choice members
Begin using our services today
Transferring a specialty pharmacy prescriptions can take some time to coordinate coverage with other pharmacies. If your care involves the use of specialty pharmacy medications from a service outside of UI Health Care, you can transfer those prescriptions to our specialty pharmacy services now to make sure there are no delays at the start of the new benefits year.
- Transfer your prescriptions
- Discuss your pharmacy care with a specialty pharmacist or pharmacy technician: 1-319-384-6909 or toll free 1-877-846-8574.
In addition, here are options you may wish to add to your specialty pharmacy services:
- Sign up to have your prescriptions mailed to you
- Manage your prescriptions using MyChart
- Fill a new prescription
- Frequently asked questions and their answers
- Contact us directly at 1-319-384-6909 or toll free 1-877-846-8574
- Prescription drug benefit description from University Benefits Office
- Descriptions of all 2019 benefits