University of Iowa Health Care and Chief Quality Officer James Murphy, MD have designed a comprehensive program that addresses core characteristics and skills needed to lead effectively in an academic health care environment. This programming is designed for Residents and Fellows and runs concurrently with the Executive Leadership Academy. Overall academy goals include:
- This program offers a unique opportunity for House Officers to learn the foundational skills and get practical 1:1 mentoring, laying a groundwork for an academic career in Quality and Patient Safety.
- Participants will complete a quality or safety project during the academy in application of skills and knowledge, mentored by clinical leadership.
- Gain insight into quality and safety work at UIHC and opportunities for provider engagement.
- Expand participants’ leadership knowledge, skills, and abilities critical in today’s changing academic health care environment.
- Strengthening our UI Health Care culture by building networks to provide ongoing feedback and support systems.
The application window for 2023-2024 is open until July 14, 2023. Completed applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quality Leadership Academy Schedule
|1||Quality: Quality 101 with Chief Quality Officer, Quality Improvement Program, QI Resources, & Successful QI Work at UIHC
Leadership: Role of the Leader, Mission, Vision, & Values
|Friday, August 25th, 2023|
|2||Quality: Project Design, Defining the Problem, Measuring the Problem
Leadership: Project Management, Organizational Change
|Friday, October 27th, 2023|
|3||Quality: Measuring the Problem II, Analyzing the Problem, Examining Safety through Surgical Practices
Leadership: Art of Negotiation
|Friday, December 8th, 2023|
|4 & 5||Quality: Implementing Quality Improvement, Managing Change, Standardization and Control of Quality Improvement, Leveraging Qualitative Methods, QI Simulation Work
Leadership: Revenue Cycle
|Friday and Saturday, January 26th & 27th, 2024|
|6||Quality: Standardization and Control of Quality Improvement II, Infection Prevention, QI and Population Health, Patient-Centered QI
Leadership: Managing Conflict, Inclusive Leadership
|Friday, March 1st, 2024|
|7||ELA & QLA Project Presentations||Friday and Saturday, May 3rd and 4th, 2024|
All sessions are full-day commitments starting at 8 a.m.
For questions, please contact: