In this video, we demonstrate how to easily make Play-Doh with common household items and how a common pantry staple, beans, can be used to make all kinds of tasty food.
Stephanie Borst, RD
Materials needed for activity in this video:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil (any kind will do)
- Food coloring (more drops will create more vibrant colored playdoh)
- Mixing bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Use of an oven (adult-supervision recommended)
Fudgey Black Bean Brownies Recipe
Recipe provided by Stephanie Borst, RD, Clinical Dietitian. Serves 16.
- 1 15oz can of reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat an 8x8 inch baking pan or dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the black beans in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, baking powder, and salt. Process until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chips and pulse a few times until they are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let brownies cool in the pan before slicing into 2 inch squares.