University of Iowa Health Care STEM Education strives to provide highly interactive and unique experiences to accommodate the interests and needs of all students. While we do our best to meet these needs, we cannot guarantee any particular experiences are available for your requested program or participation in outreach events. All programming is free of cost.
Setting Up a STEM Experience
For all STEM experiences:
- UI Health Care requires a minimum of four weeks notice to plan and prepare for your requested experience.
- Request a UI Health Care STEM Education Experience
- Any questions or inquiries may be directed to: email@example.com.
For on-campus experiences:
- Programs on campus are typically two to three hours in duration. These experiences are offered Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Groups must have at least five student attendees and are limited to no more than 25 students. Special accommodations may be made for groups larger than 25. One adult chaperone is required for every 10 students.
- We strongly encourage groups of similar age and with similar interests to visit at a given time.
- Please note: Participants will not interact with patients or enter into patient areas as part of these experiences for safety and privacy of patients.
- Things You Should Know Before You Go
For experiences in your community:
- Please note, distance from Iowa City may limit our ability to cover visits.
Students will explore STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) careers and pathways relating to health care through participating in highly hands-on activities. From examining x-rays and casting fingers, to looking at human organs, to talking with health care and research professionals, and learning about their own health, students will explore a variety of STEM careers and activities.
Participate in interactive sessions that highlight the importance of STEM education in pursuing careers in health care. Tour different areas of University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and find out what career best fits you!
Junior Medical School
Students will experience what it is like to be a medical student as they learn about the admissions process to medical school, practice diagnosing patients, and explore human anatomy with University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine students.
Only individuals who are 18 and older and in a related field of study are allowed to shadow within University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.
Faculty, staff, or current medical or professional students from University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine may visit your classroom to talk about their profession or engage students in medical related STEM activities.
Exhibitor at a Fair or Festival
Faculty, staff, or current medical or professional students from University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine may present hands-on STEM activities or stations relating to health care at events such as fairs and festivals. Please note, distance from Iowa City may limit our ability to cover visits.